Friday, May 20, 2011

Latest finds

I have been meaning to share with you some of my latest auction finds and to get your opinions.
First up is this huge $5 french mirror.  It weighs a ton.  I think I have a little plan up my sleeve for this one. 



Next, I got this two tiered cart for $10 or $15 (I can't remember which)  Can you believe that all the dirt came for free?!  I figure it would look cute in the booth after I get it all cleaned up.


Now for the gorgeous frame and sconces.  Sorry I didn't think to get a close up to show off all of the beautiful details.


So, here is where I need some advice.  First, the sconces could be wired to become electric verses just using candles.  I was thinking of replacing the current ironwork I have above the fireplace with the empty frame and the sconces.  This is a current picture of my mantel. 


Would it look too corny to use an empty frame?  Would the sconces be too much?  It is awful to be so indecisive.  I could really use some guidance from you wonderful gals out in blog land.

I wanted to save the best for last.  This Italian chair I picked up at the auction for $45.  I felt like it was a steal since I maybe have seen this style once a year at the auctions since I started going.  Because I just didn't know when I would be able to stumble upon something similar, I snatched it up as an early birthday gift.



I absolutely love it!  I didn't realize how dirty it really was until it hit the sunlight.  The amount of dirt and who knows what else I have been cleaning off is just unreal.  I've got to totally strip this chair down to the bones.  I am going to paint the frame a softer, pale, more muted turquoise.  You'll just have to stay tuned in to see my progress.  I can't promise it will happen at lightning speeds but slow and steady wins the race.

Hope you enjoyed peaking at my finds.  Let me know what you think about the frame and sconces.

Sharing over at:
 
  Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
The Shabby Nest

14 comments:

  1. The mirror is great. The sconces are lovely. But the chair is AMAZING! $45 is a steal. Although it might be dirty, it looks fantastic the way it is. Thanks so much for showing us your find!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old empty ornate frames like that are FAB as a focal point. I think that it's a great idea to hang it over the fire place. If you get tired of empty space in the center, hange a bundle of dried lavender or something from the center or from behind it to hand just below the top...or just leave it be, it'l be beautiful! exTREMEly jealous of that chari too! was a MAJOR steal. I love auctions, haven't been to one in several years...moved to a bigger city and they're just not any around here, grrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE that chair!!! YES $45 is a STEAL I would have grabbed it and ran like crazy...lol!!! What a great find.. love it all but the chair well..... I want it...lol!!!TY for sharing and making me so jelous ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chair is seriously awesome!!!! Wow!!!
    All your finds are so cool! I don't know if this helps at all but I really love collages of empty frames in different sizes (but the same color) kinda grouped randomly or even overlapping.
    Great stuff!
    ~JC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the scones and the empty frame except...I would add a round mirror or a smaller piece of framed art work inside the empty frame. Or use the other mirror you got with the scones. You could just do a white wash and some brown glaze over the existing turquoise paint on the chair to tone it down. It is an amazing chair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chair is perfect was it already painted that color?! I am lovin the french mirror iffy on the sconces but then Im not a sconce person.Cant wait to see what you do with everything and where it all ends up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the chair. Great deal for $45. The mirror is exquisite. It was probably $5, because no one wanted to carry it. Once I found a perfectly beautiful pink glass mirror on the upper west side of Manhattan waiting to be picked up by the sanitation dept. I wanted it so badly. But it was so extremely heavy, I couldn't even budge it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your finds! I saw a similar cart this week, and I keep thinking of going back for it. Love your chair, and can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chair's got me drooling on my keyboard. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great deals you got! A girl after my own Scotch shopping heart. Love the mirror and chair, just drop them off at my place please, tee hee!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. PERHAPS HANG THE FRAME THE OTHER WAY THEN THE
    SCONCES INSIDE....KAT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie,
    Great auction finds....love the cart and the chair! I think you should hang the mirror and sconces and see what you think. If you need to add anything else you can go from there. I'm forever tweaking my mantel....it's like a continuous work in progress :)
    Great job on upholstering the settee and the Union Jack dresser looked amazing.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing finds!

    I have be "hunting" a chair like that for three years!

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love with everything you found at that fab auction. I am mad with jealousy over the italian chair and the sconces. The big mirror reminds me of the one I just painted!

    ReplyDelete

I would really enjoy knowing what you think. I love getting your comments!

Followers

Search This Blog